The Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and Oshawa Generals both stay perfect at 4-0, the only two remaining teams without a loss. First overall pick Shane Wright potted his first OHL goal, big names return to their juniorclubs and more from the week that was around the OHL.
Here’s what you might have missed from last week (Thurs, Sept 26 – Sun, Sept 29)
Thursday, September 26th
- Niagara ties the game in the final minute but Oshawa’s Danil Antropov wins it in OT with his second goal of the game, third of the season. Jacob Winterton had a goal and two assists in the win.
- Battalion captain Brad Chenier scored twice, including the overtime winner, as North Bay recorded their first win of the season.
- Sergey Popov (1g 5a) and Aidan Dudas (1g 4a) has monster nights as Owen Sound rolled over Barrie 10-0. Carter Robinson (1g 1a), Daylon Groulx (1g 2a), Barret Kirwin (1g 1a), Ethan Burroughs (1g 2a) and Brady Lyle (2g 1a) also had mult-point efforts, while Mack Guzda posted the 22-save shutout.
- Luke Boka and Tyler Angle scored third period goals as Windsor came from behind to beat Erie 2-1
Friday, September 27th
- Jack Quinn’s first of the season was the overtime winner as Ottawa topped Kingston 3-2
- Oliver Suni (1g 3a), Ty Tullio (1g 2a) and Allan McShane(2g) scored for Oshawa in a 6-5 win over Mississauga, Duncan Penman has a pair of goals for the Steelheads.
- Saginaw scored early and often in Sarnia, beating the Sting 9-3. Ilya Solovyov (1g 4a), Cole Perfetti (2a) and Damien Giroux (2g) lef the way for the Spirit.
- Xavier Medina posted his first OHL win in his first start, helping Windsor to a 2-1 win over Hamilton
- Three first period goals and a pair in the third helped the Soo to a 5-2 win over Kitchener.
- Just two members of the Sudbury Wolves failed to pick up a point in a 11-3 win over North Bay. Carson Macauley (1g 3a), Owen Gilhula (2g 1a), Quinton Byfield (3a), David Levin (1g 2a) and Blake Murray (1g 2a) all had big nights for the Wolves.
- Nico Daws made 28 saves as Guelph blanked Owen Sound 4-0.
- London got a pair of goals from Antonio Stranges and Connor McMichael as Brett Brochu made 23 saves to record his first OHL win.
Saturday, September 28th
- Jamie Drysdale (1g 2a), Chad Yetman (2g) and Maxim Golod (3a) helped Erie double up Windsor 6-3. Kyle McDonald scored a pair for the Spits.
- Anthony Popovich made 35 saves to help Flint beat Niagara 3-2 in a shootout. Firebirds’ captain Tye Dellandrea was held off the scoresheet in his season debut, but did manage to score in the shootout.
- Another multi-point night from Connor McMichael (3g 2a) and Antonio Stranges (2g 1a) as London rolled over Hamilton 7-3.
- Sault Ste. Marie scored four third period goals to come from behind and beat Saginaw 6-4.
- Tyson Foerster (3g 3a) had a six point effort and Ryan Suzuki (1g 3a) also had a big night as Barrie beat Missisauga 7-3.
- Matthew Philip scored his first of the season with 39 seconds left in regulation to give Owen Sound the 3-2 edge over Guelph
Sunday, September 29th
- Evan Vieling (1g 2a) and Ethan Keppen (2g) helped Flint keep the Sarnia Sting winless with a 8-5 win.
- Zach Gallant’s third period tally was the different as Peterborough edged Ottawa 3-2. Mitchell Hoelsher scored twice for the 67’s in the loss.
- Shane Bulitka scored the winner with the little over two minutes to even things up as the Sudbury Wolves eventually edged the Kitchner Rangers 5-4 in a shootout.
- Marshall Frappier makes 26 saves as Saginaw blanks Niagara 3-0
- The Oshawa Generals stay hot with a 4-1 win over Kingston. Shane Wright scored his first OHL goal in the loss.
Gens and Greyhounds stay perfect – Oshawa and Sault Ste. Marie are the OHL’s lone unbeaten teams through the first two weeks of the season, both are 4-0.
Wright scores his first – It took him three games but the most recent first overall pick finally found the back of the net Sunday in Kingston’s loss to Oshawa. The Fronts have scored just four goals in their first three games.
Merkley makes Knights debut – The Ryan Merkley saga in Peterborough is over, as the San Jose Sharks first rounder was dealt to London for a handful of picks. Merkley picked up two assists in a win over Erie Friday, and had three more helpers Saturday night in Hamilton
Suzuki, Regula, and Dellandrea rejoin OHL clubs – after extended stays with their respective NHL clubs, all three players returned to their OHL teams this week with all three finding the scoreboard.
Firebirds scoring – Flint averaged just 3.1 goals last season, and even though it’s early, the Firebirds has proven they will be a much tougher team to shutdown this time around. The team has scored 18 goals through their first four games, including eight goals against Sarnia Sunday.
Frappier finds a new home – Days after be acquired from Kingston, Marshall Frappier made 26 saves to post the shutout in Saginaw’s 3-0 win over Niagara.
Six point effort from Tyson Foerster – What a night for the second year forward, who had three goals and three assists in Barrie’s 7-3 win over Mississauga. He scored 10 goals and 23 points all last season.
Player of the Week
Connor McMichael 2GP 5g 2a +3
The Washington Capitals first round had a pair of multi-point efforts helping the London Knights to wins over Erie and Hamilton. On Friday, McMichael opened the scoring against Erie Friday night, finishing with a pair of goals in a 6-2 win over the Otters. Then in Hamilton Saturday night, he led the way with three goals and two assists in a 7-3 road win over the Bulldogs.
He now has seven goals and three assists, and has scored a goal in all four games he’s played this season.
Best of The Rest
- Quinton Byfeild (Sudbury Wolves) – 2GP 1g 5a +5
- Ilya Solovyov (Saginaw Spirit) – 3GP 1g 7a +2
- Tyson Foerster (Barrie Colts) – 2GP 3g 3a +4
- Oliver Suni (Oshawa Generals) – 3GP 2g 4a +4