The Saginaw Spirit completed a blockbuster deal in the final hours of trade deadline day, adding Ryan Suzuki from the Barrie Colts.
Suzuki, who was selected 1st overall by the Barrie Colts in the 2017 OHL draft, has five goals 23 points in 21 games this season. An eye injury kept him out of the line up for nearly two months, returning to the line up just before the holiday break.
On top of Suzuki Saginaw also received the rights to Ryan Beck, the rights to forward Peter Fleming, and Barrie’s fifth round pick in 2020.
“Suzuki is a player we have watched grow immensely over the last two seasons, his vision and puck skills are up there with some of the best players in the league,” said Spirit general manager Dave Drinkill.
“We believe Ryan will make a substantial contribution to our club during the stretch run as we defend our West Division title.”
Two players going the other way in the deal, forward Ethan Cardwell, defenseman Connor Punnett, who was Saginaw’s first round pick in 2019. The Colts also get asix draft picks in the deal, two of which are conditional.
- Ryan Suzuki (Carolina Hurricanes Prospect)
- rights to Ryan Beck
- rights to Peter Fleming
- 5th round pick in 2020 (Barrie)
- Ethan Cardwell
- Connor Punnett
- 2nd round pick in 2021 (Saginaw)
- 3rd round pick in 2021 (Peterborough)
- 3rd round pick in 2021 (Sault Ste. Marie)
- 5th round pick in 2024 (Saginaw)
- conditional 2nd round pick in 2024 (Peterborough)
- conditional 3rd round pick in 2022 (Owen Sound)